Monday, November 22, 2010

A Thankful heart is a happy heart



"A thankful heart is a happy heart. I'm glad for what I have, it's an easy way to start."
I've been thinking a lot about the hymn: "Lord, I Would Follow Thee."

Savior, may I learn to love thee, walk the path that thou hast shown,
Pause to help and lift another, finding strength beyond my own.
Savior, may I learn to love thee- Lord I would follow thee.

Who am I to judge another when I walk imperfectly?
In the quiet heart is hidden sorrow that the eye can't see.
Who am I to judge another? Lord, I would follow thee.

I would be my brother's keeper; I would learn the healer's art.
To the wounded and the weary, I would show a gentle heart.
I would be my brother's keeper- Lord, I would follow thee.

Savior, may I love my brother as I know thou lovest me,
Find in thee my strength, my beacon, for thy servant I would be.
Savior, may I love my brother- Lord, I would follow thee.


We talked about having a fleshy, spongy (gentle) heart instead of a rock ( hard) heart in Sunday school yesterday. I think part of how we do that is to give thanks for what we have and serve others. We do not know what challenges others are facing, and many have "sorrow that the eye can't see."

I am thankful for my family. The family that I grew up in. I had a great childhood. My parents did all that they could to ensure that; the family that I have now- my husband who works very hard for us, and my children- two who are growing up quickly, one who is quickly approaching his twos, and one we long to see again; and my extended family that continues to grow.

I am thankful for the gospel of Jesus Christ- for the hope of eternal life and families, and the blessing of the Atonement and His mercy; modern day revelation and prophets, and local leaders striving to follow the commandments and serve.

I am thankful for my home, my neighborhood, good neighbors. I love President Monson's talk about how turning off their electricity made them remember their life by candlelight. I love our modern conveniences.

I am thankful for the beautiful world we live in- the flowers and trees, beaches, mountains. I love to ride my bike and enjoy the scenery.

I am thankful for animals. I love seeing them again through a toddler's eyes. They are amazing and wonderful. Niko names them by the sound they make : Baa, neigh, moo.

I am thankful for my job. It has afforded me and my family many opportunities to see more of the world and visit loved ones. I have gotten to call many co-workers friends.

I am grateful to live in a free country. I will never take this for granted.

I am glad for many things. I hope I remember to have a thankful, gentle heart.

















2 comments: