Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Job Hunt 101

The last month has been full of choices. I have been deciding whether or not I should take early retirement and become a teacher.
As I was taught by my parents, I made a decision, prayed about it and then did everything I could do to make that decision work. If it was the right decision, they taught me that I would feel at peace and things would work for my good. If the decision was wrong, I would feel restless and confused. Since about the 15th of August, here's a list of what I've been doing:
  • First, I put in for Certification in German from the state of Florida.
  • I made up a simple Resume, and asked for referrals.
  • I called my friend who happens to work in the district offices, and visited her to get advice from her and her friends at the office. They told me I needed to take a test to be certified in Elementary Education.
  • I studied for 1 1/2 days, took the 4 1/2 hour test and passed -with definite help from the Lord on the math part. :)
  • I called LDS Employment Services and re-worked my Resume and took notes about interviewing and ideas for job searching.
  • I applied for Certification from FLDOE for Elementary K-6.
  • I sent Resumes and filled out applications for Orange, Osecola, Polk and Lake counties.
  • I faxed or emailed Resumes to schools that were hiring.
  • I hand-delivered Resumes to certain schools I was interested in.
  • I pulled up Google Maps and started sending my resume to schools, including private schools that were not hiring, and within close proximity to my house.
  • I prayed.
  • I told all my friends that are currently teachers to put in a good word for me and asked them for advice.
  • When I still hadn't found a job two days before my deadline (September 16) for Continental, I fasted.
In the meantime, I have been teaching early morning Seminary, watching a two-year old, , dealing with teenage drama, working at my job at night, and trying to maintain some order in my house.
Am I frazzled? Yes. Tired? Yes. Confused? No. I feel like this is the right decision for my family and that something is going to happen.
Last Wednesday, I got an Email from the local Montessori school about a possible opening. I met with the director, and it all seemed like I would start working there today. I thought it was the perfect answer, because I could take Nikolas with me. I put in for early retirement Thursday.


Well, today she tells me that she is still unsure.

So the job hunt begins again, and I'm not sure what to tell Continental. I have yet to tell any of my friends at work about this decision and that has been challenging as well.
Continental extended the release date for retirement until September 2012-next year. My local Supervisors have decided that I can give them my final work date. So I still have many decisions to be made, but I feel like the Lord is mindful of me, and will help me whatever the outcome may or should be.



Btw- that Book of Mormon is in German that she's reading.:)

2 comments:

Head Nurse or Patient- you be the judge said...

now that we know- we will add these specific needs to our prayers for you and your family-

MadMea said...

It'll work out mom, don't worry