Thursday, September 16, 2010

early morning


I have been teaching early morning Seminary this year. Since I live outside Utah, it is an unpaid calling in the church. No release time here. I teach in my dining room at 6a.m. M-F. I have to wear church attire- which I don't mind.
The 7 students in my class are really good kids. When I think that they are the only 7 kids out of their whole high school, which is much bigger than Provo High, that are learning these gospel principles every day it overwhelms me with even more respect for them. They definitely have different challenges than I dealt with, and they continue to choose the better part.
It has been good for me to really study the scriptures, too. Last year at this time, I was trying to find a way and time to study my scriptures- well the Lord provided a way. :)
We have been learning D&C and church History. My parents instilled a great love of church history and our early leaders in me as a child. We went on 2 cross-country church history trips to church sites. As I have been teaching about these leaders and especially Joseph Smith, I am gaining even more knowledge, respect, and reverence for their calling and efforts for us.

1 comment:

Head Nurse or Patient- you be the judge said...

I admire your ability to do that- I am not a 6:00 am person. let alone 5:00am. I admire all youth today, but I think it is even harder for the kids in Utah- because of the oposite- there are so many kids who are Sunday only members, and add a huge amount of peer pressure for those trying to do right. I hear a lot of "well, so and so dresses like this and they go to church, etc. I admire your daughter in particular, for standing up for what is right.